Mađarica

Mađarica translates quite literally, to “the Hungarian lady”. What it also translates to is easily one of the most popular desserts I have ever seen disappear from just about every special occasion I can remember growing up. It’s the one that everyone would request if given a plate of leftover cakes to take home, and usually the one least left over. It looks impressive but, happily, is not as tricky as you may think.

Ingredients:

• 600 g plain flour
  • 1 tbsp baking powder

For the chocolate glaze:

• 100 g dark chocolate {I have also used milk chocolate with no problems}
  • 50 g unsalted butter
  • 25 ml oil {vegetable or light olive oil both work well}
  1. Begin  by preparing the filling. Combine the milk, sugar, and vanilla in a large saucepan and bring to the boil. When it just comes to the boil scoop out about a cup of milk and whisk the flour and cocoa through it, making sure to whisk until there are no lumps. Stir it through the rest of the milk, and over a low to medium heat add the chocolate pieces, and keep stirring until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth and starting to thicken. Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the cubes of butter, whisking to keep the mixture smooth. When all the butter has been incorporated add the rum, stir through, and transfer to a large jug or bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate.
  2. Pre heat the oven to 180 C. For the biscuit layers you need to begin by making the dough. Beat the softened butter with the sugar until it starts to look pale and creamy. Add the egg whites and sour cream and continue beating until it looks pale, thick, and creamy. With the mixer on a low speed, gradually add the flour and baking powder, and when it starts to come together tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead it for a couple of minutes.
  3. Divide the dough into six equal portions. Roll each piece between two sheets of baking paper until it’s rectangular in shape, and roughly about 25 cm by 35 cm. Roll it as thin as you can. Place each sheet on a baking tray, carefully peeling away the top layer of baking paper. Bake each biscuit layer for about eight to ten minutes, keeping in mind they need to stay pale in colour. When they come out of the oven slide them on the baking paper onto the kitchen bench to cool. When they have cooled they will easily slide around on the baking paper.
  4. To assemble the cake take the filling from the fridge and give it a stir. It should be nice and thick and glossy. {NOTE: I like to line a large rectangular baking tray large enough to fit each biscuit layer with some foil, then assemble the cake in there. From there it’s easy to pop into the fridge, and easy to lift the foil out with the whole cake when I’m ready to serve it}. Divide the filling into five equal amounts. Place a biscuit sheet onto some foil, and spread one amount of the filling over it evenly. Place the next biscuit layer on top and pour over another quantity of filling, and repeat until the final layer of biscuit goes on top. You will end up with a layer of biscuit, which will later be covered in the chocolate glaze. For now, wrap the whole cake in foil and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight if possible.
  5. To finish the cake melt all the ingredients for the chocolate glaze in the microwave for two minutes on 60% power. Stir well to combine all the ingredients, and pour it over the top layer of biscuit, making sure to spread it evenly. Put it back into the fridge for another hour or so for the glaze to set.
  6. To serve, take the cake out of the fridge, trim away the uneven edges, and cut into rectangles.

1. You should check out my cousins blog “whats cooking ella”. She has my mums version of Madarica on there. I always joke with her that she should have been my mums daughter.

2. Yum, this is my kind of dessert! I think I’d have to use marsala, it’s my Mum’s favourite and she added it to everything (as well as drank it with coke) when we were growing up. Thanks for joining us for Fabulous Foodie Fridays this week – have a great weekend x

1. Never tried marsala with coke! This is an old family recipe.

3. pearl jolly/pretty mayhem January 31, 2015 at 8:15 am

What a pretty dessert! It sounds yummy too, no wonder it’s so popular 🙂

1. It disappears fast, that’s for sure! Thanks for stopping by. ☺

4. This caught my eye straight away as I was scrolling through all the delicious FFF linkups this week, what a striking dessert, sounds like a real winner if everyone is after more to take home at the end of an event! Love it!

Liked by 1 person

1. Old family favourite, and yes we still fight for it! Thanks for stopping by. X.

5. peregrinationgourmande February 1, 2015 at 11:34 pm

Thanks a lot for sharing that. I have a hungarian friend and tasted that or similar but it really looked the same when i was in Budapest. Loved it. xx cathy

1. Thanks Cathy, the recipe is very popular in Croatia, and especially in the north, close to Hungary funnily enough!

6. Mmmmm I wish mum made these but she never has, only napolitanke which I love just as much as the madarice 🙂 Good work xo

Liked by 1 person

1. These are my grandmothers thing, and I had to learn cos I love them so much!

Liked by 1 person

1. I’ve been telling myself for ages that I need to learn how to make all my mum’s recipes – especially sarma 🙂

1. My mum actually skipped all the traditional stuff apart from cakes, and my grandmothers both were the ones who made the old school stuff. I can take or leave sarma, but I love punjena paprika. Weird cos I actually love the cabbage! But yes, you should learn, and make it for your mum!

Liked by 1 person

1. Love punjena paprika! Haven’t had that in ages though. All good comfort food 🙂

Liked by 1 person