Spinach Cob Dip

This spinach cob dip is one of those party dishes that whenever people see it they will inevitably say two things: firstly that they haven’t seen it in years, and after a taste, how good it is.

A little while later you will hear someone saying how more-ish it is…  Not to mention that you get to eat the bowl at the end…

Ingredients:

• one round cob loaf
  • one 250 g packet frozen spinach, thawed and chopped
  • 500 g cream cheese, softened {room temperature}
  • 500 ml sour cream
  • one packet or sachet of French onion powdered soup
  • 2 to 3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese

1. Pre heat the oven to 180 C. Using a sharp serrated knife the top 2 cm {an inch or so} off the cob loaf. Then carefully hollow out the cob, leaving a centimetre or so of bread to act as a solid bowl for the dip. Keep the bread from the inside of the loaf. Put the cob in the oven to toast and firm up, this should take about ten minutes or so. Set aside. Take the hollowed out pieces of bread, tear into bite size pieces, and put in the oven to crisp up for about ten to fifteen minutes. Set aside.

2. In a large saucepan combine all the remaining ingredients, and over a medium heat, stir to thoroughly combine. Heat gently for five to ten minutes, until the dip has heated through and everything is incorporated. Make sure there are no lumps of cream cheese. Spoon into the dip into the bread and pop it in the oven for five minutes or so just to get the top a little golden.

3. To serve place the cob dip on a platter and scatter the toasted bread pieces around it along with any extra crackers, and serve warm.

1. I’m having an 80″s flashback looking at this. We used to make it with a Knorr Spring Vegetable Soup Sachet. Absolutely delicious. Hand on heart I haven’t seen or tasted one since the last millennia. What”s old is obviously new again.

1. I have only ever known friends to use the vegetable soup powder but I swear by French onion. It’s so good.

2. Great party idea. Love your blog too, I can see I’ll be going through it with care!

1. Thanks Lani, and welcome!

3. pearl jolly/pretty mayhem May 6, 2014 at 10:12 am

I’m always super excited when people bring this dish to parties, it’s so good!

ps. I may be the one who always says how more-ish it is 🙂

1. Lol, I definitely always say how more-ish it is! Thanks for reading.

4. Oh – I used to love those! Thanks for the recipe since I had no idea how to make one. I always wanted to pull apart the bread and scoff it all but you can’t when you’re sharing at a party. I’m going to make one for me and hubby and we won’t have to share! Mwah hah hah!

1. You are very welcome, hope you enjoy it!

5. This is so retro but bring it back! Delicious I could eat a whole one myself. Yum!

1. Retro, yes. Delicious, yes. Bringing it back, hell yes!

6. Is retro, is GOOD! I am the first to dip when I see one of these on the table!! 🙂

1. I hadn’t made this in years, and have now made it two weeks in a row! Thanks for reading. X.

7. You read my mind! Making this on the weekend! Thanks for sharing, off to pin this recipe now x

1. Thanks Lauen, enjoy! X.

8. […] it may be totally retro, but who can go past a Spinach Cob Loaf Dip?  Not only do they taste amazing, but there are no dishes to clean up afterwards!  A big thank […]