Lemon Meringue Tarts

I’ve been on a mission to use up those random ingredients I sometimes buy then forget about. These hall of fame lemon meringue tarts were served up recently to use up the two jars of lemon curd I had somehow ended up with. Teamed with my simple shortcrust pastry and a basic meringue topping, they disappeared fast.

Ingredients:

• one quantity of shortcrust pastry {see recipe HERE}
  • one jar of store bought lemon curd {I used Yackandandah brand, it’s delicious}
  • 3 egg whites
  • 100 g caster sugar
  1. Prepare the pastry according to the recipe. When it has rested cut out a circle of pastry to line either one large 25 cm tart shell, or two muffin trays which will give you 24 bite size tarts. Line with baking paper and fill with baking weights, blind bake at 180 C for twenty minutes, then remove weights and paper and bake for another five to ten minutes until golden and crisp. Set aside to cool a little.
  2. Spoon the lemon curd into each tart or into the large one.
  3. Whisk the egg whites and sugar on a high speed until you have firm peaks. Using a piping bag with a large star nozzle, pipe the meringue onto the top of the lemon curd. bake for about ten minutes, or until the meringue goes a little golden.
  4. You can serve them pretty much straight away, or they can happily sit in the fridge until needed.

1. Thanks Mary. I can’t go past a lemony dessert.

1. You’re killing me with the sweets lately. So fancy looking too!

1. Killing my waistline…

2. in the mood for a lemon meringue, now inspired for this weekends baking! 🙂

3. pearl jolly/pretty mayhem May 16, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Yum, I love lemon based desserts! You got the meringue looking so perfect too, I’m drooling over here 🙂

4. These are so cute and beautiful!

1. Thank you, tasted good too!

5. This looks delicious!

1. Classic and yum. Thanks for stopping by.

6. These look too beautiful to eat! Thank you so much for linking up with us, hope to see you again next week x

1. Thanks Lauen, looking forward to it. X.

7. I love this idea of using the random odds and ends in your pantry. The tarts look absolutely perfect!

1. Thanks Sara, I always find random jars of odd things, and in this case they were put to very good use! Thanks for stopping by. X.

8. Wow, this looks so fancy! Mmm, I bet they’re super tasty too. 😀

1. They look fancier than they are!