Gozleme

I was seriously late to the gozleme party, but boy am I glad I finally made it. Seeking something new that required some effort after some lazy days in the kitchen I came across these pan fried pockets of goodness. Having a look through some cookbooks as well as online it soon became clear that the recipe is pretty uniform wherever you look. I made the filling first then let it cool while I made the dough and let it rest. I doubled the quantities, naturally {to feed eight people}, and improvised on the fillings. I used up what I had in the house and the fillings are very adaptable in that way. Vegetarian options are a no brainer, and in fact the kale and cheese {ricotta and fetta} was my favourite.

I was rolling, filling, and cooking one at a time and serving them up as they were cooked. It would also be fun to make them with a few friends all pitching in.

For the fillings: {the possibilities are endless, these are the ones I made}

• saute half a finely diced onion for about five minutes, add one finely diced or crushed garlic clove for half a minute, add some shredded kale or silverbeet {leaves only} and fry until they soften. Add some chicken or vegetable stock, just to barely cover the greens. When the liquid reduces and the leaves are cooked set aside to cool. Season with a little cracked pepper and add some freshly chopped parsley. When making the gozleme, after spreading the kale/spinach mixture over the dough crumble over some ricotta and fetta.
  • start by sauteing half a small onion in olive oil, and after about five minutes add some lamb mince {about 500 g should do it, especially if you have other fillings} and fry until browned, breaking up the lumps with a wooden spoon. Season with a little salt and pepper, and add some smoked paprika and ground cumin. Stir through, and when the lamb is cooked set aside to cool. {You could also add some baby spinach leaves just before the lamb is done}.
  • I had a pack of Peking duck legs in the fridge, so I heated them according to the packet, minced them, and added them to some sauteed onions and finely chopped mushrooms which had some red wine added and reduced. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside to cool.

For the dough: {I made double the quantity of dough stated below, and ended up with about eight gozleme}

• place one teaspoon of dry yeast with half a teaspoon of caster sugar in about 3/4 cup of lukewarm water. Mix well and set it aside for about ten minutes or so, until it starts to froth and bubble.
  • In a large bowl place 1/1/2 cups of plain flour with a pinch of salt. make a well in the centre and slowly add the water, and slowly draw the flour into the centre and mix it into the water, until the dough starts to come together.
  • Turn it out onto a light;y floured surface and, with floured hands, knead it for a good five minutes, or until it’s smooth and elastic. Alternatively you can use a mixer with a dough hook. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a damp cloth and leave it for about twenty minutes.

To assemble the gozleme:

• divide the dough into quarters, or into eight if you have doubled the dough. Take one piece at a time and on a lightly floured surface roll it out into a circle, as thin as you can get it. You want to be able to see through it.
  • Spread some filling over one half of the circle and take the other half, enclosing the filling, and pinch the edges together sealing the filling in.
  • Don’t overfill the gozleme!
  • Some recipes call for the dough to be rolled into a square or rectangle, and it’s totally up to you. Keep in mind that the circle, even when folded in half, might be large so check your pans first.

Cooking the gozleme:

•  heat a little butter or olive oil in a large non stick frying pan over a medium heat. Gently place one gozleme at a time in the pan, brushing the top with a little oil. Cook for about three to four minutes, until the underside is nice and golden. Flip it over and cook for another three to four minutes.
  • When it’s done ease it out onto a chopping board, cut into quarters and serve. Brush a little oil in the frying pan before each gozleme, and then brush the top again before turning it over.
  • Serve with Greek style yoghurt and a garden salad.
  1. Oh gosh Ana, I’m so glad I stopped by. Gozleme are my favourite things in the world (disclaimer: I have a lot of favourite things) but I’ve never thought of MAKING THEM. No, I pay $9 a pop at night markets. This is a game changer. These are happening.

1. I’m so glad! They’re my latest favourite thing, and yes the list is also long, but just so easy to make. Plus all the kids liked them too sick is a bonus.

2. Looks soooo good! Reminds me of pita melts. Way to make me hungry!

1. It is a lot like a pita melt. You have to try it!

3. I’m so trying this – always on the hunt for easy dinner ideas. These look delicious.

1. Very popular here I have to say.

4. They look SO delicious!! Will have to give them a go one day when I’m in the mood for a bit of effort 😉

1. I think they would be so good thing to make for a couple of families with everyone pitching in. But even halving the quantity would be ok.

5. Oh I can’t even tell you how much I love gozleme. Yours looks ridiculously delicious!!! Happy Fabulous Foodie Fridays xx

1. My new favourite food I only can’t believe it took me so long to try them! But fun to make too.

6. I am trying this on the weekend , I am sure it will be a hit with all the male folk minus spinach in the fillings.

1. Lol, yeah my boys are all carnivores too! Thanks for stopping by.

7. I was late to the party too but am certainly making up for it now! Lamb fillings all the way!

Liked by 1 person

8. I’m already drooling, I love gozlemes!

1. Me too, my new favourite food!